COURSE SECTION: DIVERSITY IN THE WORKPLACE
This course will introduce frameworks for mapping interpersonal differences on teams and analyzing the roles managers play in mediating, leveraging, and cultivating those differences. It will also provide some basic tools for managing diversity and will give managers a chance to practice by responding to scenarios drawn from challenging, real-life experiences. Topics covered include: two ideas/frameworks for diversity and inclusiveness; noticing differences; building a team difference inventory; creating a team charter; shifting focus toward outcomes; inclusion through the double zig zag; and 10 inclusive behaviors and transparent intentions.
- Identify elements for managers that offer opportunities to act in a way that encourages diversity.
- Distinguish between conscious and unconscious bias.
- Distinguish among four modes of decision-making and their implications for teams of people with different perspectives.
- Assess the impact of typical responses to workplace situations involving people with different backgrounds and perspectives.
- Select behaviors in appropriate situations that increase the ability to include people with different perspectives of life in the organization.
- Identify several components of interpersonal difference that impact the workplace.
- Understand the roles that sincerity, courage, humility play in effective cross cultural communication, and the limitations of political correctness.
- Engage colleagues in experimenting with new patterns of inclusive behavior.
- Tap into a network of manager peers who can give support on an ongoing basis as managers encounter challenges involving diversity on their team.
Course Duration: 4 hours VILT / Equivalent to 1 full day of classroom training.
Virtual Class Size: Up to 20 participants.
Delivery Method: Course is available in-person and virtually.
Contact Vantage today to learn more about how we can help your organization.
Our mailing address is 2111 Wilson Blvd #700, Arlington, VA 22201. For inquiries contact 703.899.7505 or firstname.lastname@example.org.